Fiber optic cables are used to transmit audio signals from audio components, for instance, Blu-Ray, CD/DVD Players, and satellite boxes to AV receivers, preamps, or digital-to-analog receivers. Unlike their electrical competitors, fiber optic cables are good in eliminating interferences caused by electromagnetic fields and Radio frequencies. Consequently, they offer crystal clear audios even at high decibels.
When purchasing these cables, compatibility comes first. While they are designed to do well with various components, some cables won’t perform with certain sound systems. For instance, you need to be careful when purchasing an optical cable for your Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
Secondly, consider how flexible the cable is and how much abuse its protection layers can withstand. Note the optic fiber itself is extremely fragile and easily destroyable. As such, it requires several layers of PVC coating to protect it from nicks and cuts. In fact, a cable with an extra braided jacket is more preferable. A cable with a thick sheathing will allow you to flex it in tight areas with reduced risks of damaging the fiber optic core.
Thirdly, consider the length, the cost, and also the brand. Lastly and most important, find what other users have to say about each cable.
- 10. IBRA 3-Feet Digital Optical Cable
- 9. Black Squid TOSLINK Fiber Optic JIS F05 Audio Cable
- 8. StarTech.com SPDIF Toslink Digital Optical Cable
- 7. FosPower 24K Gold Plated Optical Audio Cable
- 6. BlueRigger Optical Audio Cable (15 feet)
- 5. Monster Silver Fiber Optic Audio Cable
- 4. KabelDirekt Optical Audio Cable
- 3. Cable Matters Toslink Optical Audio Cable
- 2. Mediabridge Toslink Digital Audio Cable
- 1. AmazonBasics l Optical Audio Toslink Cable
10. IBRA 3-Feet Digital Optical Cable
- By: IBRA®
- Item Weight: 5 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 8.7 x 6.8 x 0.8 inches
Ibra Master Gold comes as our first Toslink audio cable. This cable didn’t make it on this list because of its premium gold theme or its friendly price, but because of its great functionality, dependability, and durability.
Ibra is 3ft long. It’s a heavy-duty cable that transmits signals to your audio system from Blu-Ray players, DAT recorders, game consoles, computers, etc. About durability, Ibra Master Gold features sturdy PVC layers and a braided jacket that protects it from kinks, cuts, and nicks. It also has gold-plated heads with superior grip and sturdy hold.
Again, this cable can be used with uncompressed audio and the compressed including 5.1 and 7.1 surround systems.
- Has 3600 grip treads for easy plugging/unplugging.
- Eliminates Electromagnetic Interference and Radio Frequency Interference.
- Some users find it pricey for its size.
9. Black Squid TOSLINK Fiber Optic JIS F05 Audio Cable
- By: Black Squid
- Item Weight: 0.3 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 6.7 x 5.5 x 0.6 inches
Next is this Black Squid JIS F05. It measures 6ft and comes with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. This is a male-male cable that links Blu-R players, CD/DVD, game consoles including Sony 2, 3, and 4, satellite DVRs, to either a receiver, an audio processor, a preamp, or a digital-to-analog converter.
Black Squid also features a durable construction featuring durable PVC layers and a cotton mesh braid. It’s flexible and doesn’t kink even with regular abuse. Its heads have multiple treads that offer easy handling. The connectors are metallic and gold-plated. They have been precisely polished to deliver crystal clear audio signals.
- Lifetime satisfaction guarantee.
- Have gold-plated heads for clarity.
- Some users claim that it’s flimsy.
- By: StarTech
- Item Weight: 0.6 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 4.9 x 0.4 inches
For those hunting for crisp audio signals with real value for your bucks, StarTech.com has a real deal for you. We all understand how expensive Toslink Digital Optical Cables can be, don’t we? Now, imagine getting 15ft of this cable at below 7 bucks.
Even at that low price tag, this cable still offers quality audios without any distortion or interference. The only noticeable slight flaw is that this cable is thin and lacks the braided jacket. Therefore, it may not withstand extreme abuse.
- It’s long and inexpensive.
- Has quality sounds.
- It’s thin and may fail easily.
7. FosPower 24K Gold Plated Optical Audio Cable
- By: FosPower
- Item Weight: 5 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 6.7 x 3 x 1.6 inches
Firstly, if you’re searching for audio cable for your Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, I’m sorry, but this won’t serve you. FosPower connects your CD/DVD Player, digital media player, Blu-Ray, computer, and satellite box amongst other devices to your 5.1/7.1 home theater system, audio system, AV receiver, soundbar or TV.
Past users appreciate that it comes with a braided jacket for durability. FosPower also features high-grade fiber core that prevents EMF, RF, and ground loop interference. Consequently, you get crystal clear sounds even at the highest possible decibels.
- Has high-quality fiber core.
- Has clean, accurate sounds.
- Doesn’t support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio.
6. BlueRigger Optical Audio Cable (15 feet)
- By: BlueRigger(TM)
- Item Weight: 5.6 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 5 inches
This 15ft cable comes at an extremely low price than what your local retailers offer. Again, it’s designed to offer you a long usage time with high fidelity. It’s compatible with an array of audio components including satellites boxes, CD/DVD Player and, of course, your AV receiver, preamplifier, and home theater system.
Its high-quality fiber core is housed in a durable PVC layer. Its conductors and ferrules are corrosion-resistant and offer maximum signal accuracy. On the downside, these connectors may not latch in well in several small ports. This can be solved by carefully trimming its rubber heads, though.
- It’s long and durable.
- Have clear sounds.
- Its heads are larger for small ports.
5. Monster Silver Fiber Optic Audio Cable
- By: Monster
- Item Weight: 7.2 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 108.3 x 295.3 x 428.1 inches
Monster is one of the most renowned fiber optic cables by home theater enthusiasts. It’s pricier than most of the cables out there but has higher fidelity in terms of performance. This is a lightweight, flexible, and durable cable with professional-grade optic core for exceptional signal transfer.
Monster works well with most sound bars, Blu-Ray players, satellite boxes, CD/DVD players, TVs, and AV receivers. The connectors have been thoughtfully molded to fit snugly in most ports without popping out as others do. They also feature rubber grips and are color coded for easy connections.
- Heavy-duty connectors for durability.
- Color-coded for easy connections.
- It’s pricier than others with better qualities.
4. KabelDirekt Optical Audio Cable
- By: KabelDirekt
- Item Weight: 5.6 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 5.9 x 5.1 x 1.2 inches
KabelDirect is another highly sought-after optical cable that comes with an 18-month warranty. It measures 20ft and costs around 10 bucks which are quite a steal. This cable features first-class optic core and an incredible flexible PVC jacket for protection.
In addition, it offers quality sounds thanks to its highly sensitive fiber core and conductors. KabelDirect is compatible with multi-channel surround system and both the uncompressed and compressed surround sounds including Dolby Plus, Dolby True HD, and DTS-HD and LCPM.
- Compatible with different audio devices.
- It holds well.
- Its head may be too large for some ports.
- By: Cable Matters
- Item Weight: 6.1 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 6.9 x 5.9 x 0.9 inches
This is yet another reliable cable that will do well in transferring audios to your preamps and AV receivers. It’s available in different lengths. As expected, you get greater value with increase in length. Its highly sensitive core is protected from abuse by thick PVC layers and a professionally-braided jacket.
Cable Matters also eliminates all sorts of interferences for crystal clear sounds. It also supports both PCM audio and the 5.1/7.1 surround sound.
- Has professional engineering.
- Tips are gold-plated for durability.
- It’s a bit stiff.
- By: Mediabridge
- Item Weight: 6.4 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 120 x 2 x 2 inches
Mediabridge is an inexpensive option for connecting your high-performance audio components. Unlike its electrical competitors, this digital audio cable offers better sound accuracy with multi-channel audio systems. Its protective PVC outer layer is also thicker than other cables, and the tips are gold-plated to prevent corrosion.
Mediabridge is also available in different sizes and at friendlier prices. Previous users appreciate its thickness, accuracy, and unbeatable flexibility.
- It’s thicker.
- Has precise and accurate sounds.
- Its head is flimsy.
- By: AmazonBasics
- Item Weight: 3.5 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 72 x 0.5 x 0.5 inches
From Amazon basics, this is a straight-forward audio cable with no unnecessary frills but greater functionality and reliability. It’s currently the best-selling cable on Amazon and compatible with various audio components and receivers. It’s lightweight, flexible, and sturdily constructed to offer a long life. It also has a user-friendly design with comfortable grips for easy plugging and unplugging. However, it’s not strong enough to for tight spaces.
- It’s inexpensive.
- It’s user-friendly.
- Not perfect for tight spaces.